If you are taken hostage:
- Stay calm. Be cooperative. Avoid eye contact. Don’t threaten or intimidate; appear submissive.
- Remember that lives are your top concern. Before you say or do anything, think of the consequences to yourself and others. Your safety – and theirs – comes first.
- Notify 911 (8-911 on College phone) only if it will not put you or anyone else in danger.
- Make careful mental notes about hostage-taker(s): age, skin color, hair and eye color, height and weight, color and type of clothing, distinguishing characteristics (voice, accents, language, etc.)
- Follow all directives from law enforcement officials.