All students who are enrolled at Lakeview College of Nursing have the option to register a person (i.e., parent, guardian, spouse, relative, or friend) to contact in case of an emergency with the Office of the Registrar/Records. When a student has been determined to be missing by classmates, faculty, or friends from class or clinical for over 24 hours an official missing student report will be referred immediately to the Dean of Nursing or College President. The emergency contact person will be contacted. This requirement does not preclude implementing these procedures in less than 24 hours if circumstances warrant a faster implementation.
Only authorized campus officials and law enforcement officials in furtherance of a missing person investigation may have access to this information. The student is responsible for keeping the contact information current. Even if a student does not register a contact person, the Danville or Charleston Police Department will be notified that a student is missing.
Procedure for Reporting and Investigating a Missing Student:
- Any individual on or off campus (i.e. faculty, staff, students, friends, family) who believes a student may be a missing must notify the Dean of Nursing or College President immediately.
- College officials will attempt to contact the student via phone and by sending an e-mail.
- If the student is unable to be reached via phone, the Dean of Nursing, College President or designee plus one other person will attempt to visit the student’s place of residence.
- The Dean of Nursing, College President or designee will speak to students who attend class or clinical with the missing student to ascertain if anyone can confirm the missing student’s whereabouts or confirm the last time the student was seen.
- The Dean of Nursing, College President or designee will contact any friends or family members that are made known through the above stated inquiries.
- The Dean of Nursing, College President or designee will then contact the emergency contact person to determine if they have information in regards to the missing student.
- If these procedures provide an opportunity for College officials to make contact with the missing student, verification of the student’s state of health and intention of returning to the campus will be made.
- If these procedures do not provide an opportunity for College officials to make contact with the missing student, the Dean of Nursing, President, or designee will notify the local law enforcement agency and provide any information they have obtained in regards to the missing student. The local law enforcement agency may be contacted sooner if circumstances warrant a faster implemented.